The Affinity Group program offers students the opportunity to find community around shared career goals and interests (e.g. biotechnology, entrepreneurship, consulting, product design, sustainable energy, transportation, etc.). With the support of the Career Development team and alumni, Affinity Groups host career-focused programs and events while offering a space to share, support, and learn about/from each other.
Affinity Groups are open to all students from the Master of Engineering, Master of Analytics, Master of Translational Medicine, and Fung Fellowship programs and must uphold both UC Berkeley’s principles of community and Fung Institute values. Membership is not required to participate in Affinity Group programming; students may sign up for multiple groups and join at any time. MEng alumni may continue to participate in Affinity Groups as members or mentors.
Master of Engineering students have the unique opportunity to serve as Affinity Group Leaders during their studies at UC Berkeley. Group leaders coordinate with alumni and industry partners in their area to offer professional development experiences, share industry knowledge, and provide opportunities to build community and career networks. Students must apply for this volunteer position and recruitment for Affinity Group Leaders is held during the summer leading up to the start of the Master of Engineering program.
The objective of the Data Science/Analytics group is to create a community of students interested in Analytics & Data Science where we can learn more about the field and form both social connections with students and professional connections with practicing Data Scientists, Data Analysts, and ML Engineers.
We aim to gather people with the same interest in Analytics & Data Science and grow together.
- Host networking events and meet people from the industry.
- Learn more about potential careers in Data Science & Analytics
- Connect and network with other students and alumni who share this passion for Data Science & Analytics
- Share articles and stories that you believe are helpful to the community
There is a wide range of careers associated with this community. This group will help you explore the various career pathways.
Sina Moshfeghi (EECS)
This group is dedicated to making Artificial Intelligence accessible to everyone, whether you’re new or experienced. We aim to provide a space where members can learn, connect, and collaborate in a supportive environment. Through talks, workshops, hackathons, and networking events, we strive to demystify AI and empower all members to grow their skills and networks.
We are planning to organize the following activities:
- Talks on hot topics in AI such as Large Language Models (LLMs) and autonomous driving.
- “Coffee and Meet” events where MEng students interested in AI socialize and network (these events would also invite MEng alumni and EECS department members)
- Workshops on developing AI skills (topics depend on what the group members are interested in)
The BioTech and Life Sciences Affinity Group’s mission is to provide resources for professional development and to learn about different sectors and technologies in the industry. Our goals include connecting students to industry alumni, as well as facilitating guidance on entering the BioTech and Life Sciences sectors. We aim to educate ourselves and our community about various aspects of Biotech and Life Sciences through professional speaker events, panels, and social community-building events. We strive to create a space where we can strengthen our connections with each other and build relationships with alumni and industry professionals.
Our members can expect to:
- Explore the many different areas of biotech and learn about the career opportunities within them.
- Connect and network with other alumni and industry professionals with similar backgrounds and interests.
- Build a network of support through social events with peers with similar career goals, and share resources for networking, professional development, and industry hiring trends with the community.
- Utilize events to pose questions and gain insights into the experience of working in the biotech and life sciences industries from experienced industry professionals.
- Identify strategies and skills for job applications and interviews.
Consulting is an interesting industry, and we are happy to help students discover their potential and explore opportunities in the space. Our purpose revolves around providing mentorship, guidance, and expertise to individuals who are navigating their careers in the consulting industry. This group aims to offer valuable insights, advice, and resources to help members overcome challenges, make informed decisions, and excel in their consulting roles.
Some of the goals of this Affinity Group are:
- Educate members about the different opportunities in the field of consulting
- Build a problem solving community while providing interview preparation resources
- Train members on real-life applications and frameworks
- Provide opportunities to network with like-minded people in the student community as well as alumni network
We are eager to bring people together that want to solve problems, learn about job expectations, improve interviewing through different strategies, exchange experiences, and a lot more.
Our primary mission is to democratize the startup experience, making it accessible and approachable for all. We strive to give students a real-world view of entrepreneurship, foster entrepreneurial skills and mindsets, and connect them with essential startup resources and connections. As a group, we believe in knowledge sharing and open dialogue, fostering a sense of community, and taking a proactive approach to help students achieve their goals.
There are a wide range of careers associated with this community. All are welcome and are encouraged to bring their own fields and areas of interest. This group will help you explore various career pathways and resources.
We chat about anything related to FinTech.
This group is for all students and alumni with an interest in learning about, networking within, and forming mentorship relationships with others in Financial Technology and other related industries.
- Learn more about potential careers in this community
- Connect and network with other students and alumni who share your background and interests
- Pose general questions to the community for expert review and response by group Mentors
- Share articles and stories related to cutting-edge trends in your field
There is a wide range of careers associated with this community. This group will help you explore the various career pathways and resources.
The Inclusive Technology Affinity Group is a collective dedicated to fostering diversity and inclusion in the tech industry. Through collaboration and advocacy, we aim to ensure that technology is accessible and beneficial for everyone.
Group Vision: To spark discussion and build a skillset to design for underrepresented groups and communities.
- Hold inclusive technology events every month, both social and educational.
- Facilitate mentorship and networking opportunities
- Provide the underrepresented group of students with career development opportunities
The mission of the Product Design Affinity Group is to connect students who are interested in product design with appropriate resources and educate interested students about product design.
We will help members:
- Develop new design skills,
- Explore career opportunities related to Product Design available in industry,
- Connect and network with others who share similar backgrounds and/or interests,
- Interact with the extended community of experienced mentors and professionals in the industry,
- Share resources related to recruiting, technology trends, and general professional development.
There is a wide range of skills and career pathways associated with Product Design. This group will help you identify resources and navigate the recruiting process.
Welcome to the Product Management Affinity Group, your hub for exploring various careers. We’re here to help guide you to becoming a successful product manager, from zero to hero, through informative sessions, networking events connecting you with industry professionals, and a wealth of resources to navigate diverse career opportunities. Join us to shape your path, foster meaningful connections, and unleash your potential in product management.
Our target goals include:
- Learn more about the potential careers and detailed steps to becoming Product Managers.
- Develop values and industry connections through alumni and expertise in the field.
- Establish a dynamic platform for members to actively share their knowledge, experiences, and resources with one another.
Join us in discovering the extraordinary world of product management across various fields.
Step into a world where passion for robotics unites. Connect, learn, and grow with a collective of innovators who are reshaping the future.
As a member, you’ll:
- Forge Bonds: Connect with like-minded MEng students who breathe robotics.
- Flash Your Swag: Flaunt your affiliation with exclusive cool swag.
- Explore Behind the Scenes: Embark on field trips to leading robotics giants.
- Connect with Pros: Network and learn from industry experts, alumni, and recruiters.
- Navigate Careers: Uncover job opportunities and career insights firsthand.
Together, we’re sculpting an empowering robotics community, fostering industry connections, and prying open doors to limitless careers!
We, the Sustainable Energy Affinity Group at UC Berkeley, are united by our commitment to advancing sustainable energy solutions. Our mission is to raise awareness, educate, and drive action for a future powered by clean and renewable energy sources. Through collaboration and community engagement, we strive to create a sustainable world for all. Our vision is a world where sustainable energy sources drive societal growth. We see a future where solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal power shape our energy landscape.
Join us for an electrifying journey! Explore the world of sustainable energy, from engaging workshops and hands-on projects to exclusive company visits – including the likes of Tesla. Unite with us at the Sustainable Energy Affinity Group, where knowledge, fun, and a greener future await.
As the Transportation Affinity Group, our focus is on connecting students with professionals within the Aerospace and Automotive industries as well as widening our breadth of knowledge within these fields. This group is for all students and alumni with interest in learning about, networking within, and forming mentorship relationships with others in the Aerospace & Automotive industries.
Some of our goals include:
- Developing relationships with professionals in the industry
- Sharing applicable information on industry trends, hiring opportunities, and any relevant knowledge
- Connecting international students with opportunities to succeed in the industry
There are wide ranges of careers associated with this community. This group will help you explore the various career pathways in the aerospace/automotive sectors.