Have a new invention, product concept, or software idea?
The Berkeley Office of Innovation and Entrepreneurship and College of Engineering are happy to announce the FastTracking Founders Competition. This competition is an excellent opportunity for students to capitalize on their ideas and receive support to file a provisional patent. The winners of the competition will receive financial and organizational support to file a provisional patent.
Competition finalists will receive personalized, hands-on support with the patent filing process. All costs will be covered for the first stage of the patent filing process which is for a provisional patent.
- You are a current UC Berkeley student in one of College of Engineering professional master’s programs
- Approval from your project sponsor (industry and/or faculty representative)
- Eligible projects include: capstone, coursework, hackathons, and/or independent research
- Team projects: aside from advisor consent, the entire team (vs. select individuals) must be in agreement to participate. Only one team member needs to apply on behalf of their team.
“Over the last 10 years of the Berkeley MEng program, there have been a variety of extremely entrepreneurial projects that weren’t taken to the next level in terms of being possibly spun off into great companies. Over the years we’ve been brainstorming with exactly how to do this….and approximately two years ago we got to the point where we were able to assemble all of the moving parts on campus to allow this to occur. It is a great leap forward!”
– Tarek Zohdi, Associate Dean of Post Baccalaureate Programs in the UC Berkeley College of Engineering
“From the campus perspective, this is exactly the stage of early enterprise creation that we want to support. And for a master’s graduate to have a provisional patent on their resume is a big win in any event. It’s great that CoE master’s programs can provide this.”
– Rich Lyons, UC Berkeley Chief Innovation and Entrepreneurship Officer
COE FastTracking Founders CompetitionApply by June 30, 2022
Last year’s winners: