The Coleman Fung Institute for Engineering Leadership welcomes its class of 245 Master of Engineering students.Each year the UC Berkeley Master of Engineering (MEng) program admits students from around the world who go on to become leaders in their respective fields. With 21 countries and 115 undergraduate institutions represented in the Class of 2021, the Fung Institute welcomes a student body of technical leaders who come from many different backgrounds and perspectives. As a result of their time spent in the program, Berkeley MEng students are given the tools they need through effective technical training and leadership development skills in order to become the innovators of tomorrow. The one-year, full-time class is joined by students in UC Berkeley’s new MBA/MEng dual degree program, which allows students with undergraduate technical training to earn both an MBA and an MEng degree in just two years. This cohort is also the first class to participate in the Fung Institute’s all-new Bridges Alliance program, which provides micro-internship opportunities for students and recent alumni, and student-led Affinity Groups, which allow students with shared professional interests to form communities. Through access to these two programs, students will gain unique experiential and networking opportunities. In addition, as students are entering the program during an all-virtual semester, they will especially focus on remote teaming aspects in the course this year, exploring how to effectively work and communicate with their capstone project team members in these circumstances.
MEng Class of 2021 Profile
- Number of Applicants: 3,434
- Class Size: 245
- Average GRE: 88% Quant, 71% Verbal, 49% AWA
- Average GPA: 3.7
- Average age: 23
- 67% International by passport
- 41% Female
- Departments: 31% IEOR, 19% EECS, 28% ME, 9% BIOE, 4% CEE, 4% MSE, 5% NE
- 60% Received a MEng program grant or fellowship
- 115 undergraduate schools represented. The top five undergraduate universities are University of California, Berkeley; University of California, San Diego; University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; University of California, Los Angeles; and University of Washington.
- 21 countries/regions are represented. Most predominant are China, USA, France, Taiwan, Canada.
UC Berkeley MEng Class of 2021 profile was originally published in Berkeley Master of Engineering on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.